Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tori's school issue

My girl was so big, and so brave on Friday. She told her teacher that she needed to get a larger print dictionary and maybe some larger print chapter books. To which her teacher replied, "I knew you probably couldn't read them, because I have trouble reading the print in those dictionaries. I really can't afford to get anymore dictionaries though, so if you can talk to your Mom about getting those for you that would be great." (This was what Tori said when she got home, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.) The awesome thing is Tori said, "OK, I'll talk to Marcia on Monday."

Marcia, of course, is the VIT teacher for the girls. I will tell you right now that she is one of the nicest, sweetest teachers I've met. She is so awesome with my girls, and works with them on stuff that their other teachers gave up on long ago. For example Tori still writes her numbers and letters backwards. I don't know why this is, but Marcia helps her to get these corrected and she has been doing much better this year. Having said this, she is also one of the most no-nonsense people I've met. In the girls IEP's last year she was very direct and to the point. She doesn't give anyone any room to budge. With the girls testing she found things that I wouldn't have even known to look for, and let the teachers know what the girls need to help with their education. One of the teachers was questioning something, and she just put her down so fast it made my head spin. I almost wanted to apologize to the teacher and say, "I just want the girls to learn Braille......Sorry!" So we'll see how Marcia feels about Tori's teachers comments on Monday...

No comments: