Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bitter-Sweet

I had one of those moments today. I'm so grateful for the place and the time that we live in. Our kids have enough issues that we have so many more advantages then we would have 100 years ago. We knew right away that Jason was possibly going to have hearing problems.

However, denial is a cruel thing!! I think we as parents have been pretty darn good with dealing with the concerns and challenges that our kids have brought us, but again I was choked up and had mixed emotions this afternoon.

Jason woke up from his nap cranky and wanting Mama. I got him out of his crib, grabbed his hearing aid and he fell back to sleep in my bed for another hour. I put his Aid on my bed side table this time and then I sat on the floor and watched a little TV waiting for the boy to wake up. Almost as soon as he woke up, he rolled off my bed with his hearing aid in hand. He brought it over to me and put it in my hands.

The progress that I see is so exciting, but yet it breaks my heart. Don't we all hope that something will just make the problem go away? Maybe, just maybe it's his ear infections and filled ears. Maybe, he will grow out of it.........maybe all will just miraculously fall into place and everything will be well........

As you all know, this isn't how life works. I'd love to be able to fix this problem, but I guess that is what the hearing aid does for Jason. It fixes the problem.

No comments: