Monday, September 5, 2011

Sad Stuff, but a proud Mama


Sunday morning was quite the shocker. Duncan had to go to BYC, so he was at church at 8:00 am. At about 8:10am we got a phone call from my sweet boy. One of our good friends had passed away that morning. He was diagnosed with cancer and we just found out about it sometime in July. It doesn't seem that long, but I know it has seemed like a lifetime and a blink of an eye at the same time for his sweet family. Duncan's buddy, who is also the Deacon's Quorum President, just happens to be the son of our sweet friends. I've worried for how Duncan would take the news.

When I got to church I immediately started looking for my boy. I thought for sure he'd been struggling to cope. When I finally found him he was sitting down where he was supposed to. He was the only Deacon there and he was doing his Priesthood duty. When I looked at him, he mouthed the words, "It'll be OK." Of course I was bawling all the way through sacrament meeting. =)

There was a baby blessing, and Duncan jumped up and had to go find the microphone. He is fairly new to the responsibilities of a Deacon so he wasn't prepared. However, he took everything in stride.

Of course since it was the first of the month it was Testimony meeting. Our ward has the Deacon's stand up front with a roaming microphone so that if anyone wants to bare their Testimony, but are unable to go to the pulpit they still are able to do so. He looked up a little frantic and ran up front to do his job. Not a look of frustration, he just knew that was his job.

I had to go home to compose myself after the meeting, so we took Jason home and I relaxed for a bit. When I ran back to church for Relief Society I walked past the stage door. There was my boy, standing behind the curtains. Mom instincts kicked in and I thought he might be struggling. So I walked up there and said, "What are you doing? Are you being a trouble maker??" The visiting High Councilman stepped out from behind another Curtain and said, "Oh no, he is being VERY helpful." He was getting the hymn books for Priesthood opening exercises. Once again, doing his job.

Relief Society just might have well been a cry fest. I'm not sure that there was a dry eye in the house. We all were feeling the ache and loss for this sweet family.

When we got out of class Duncan said, "Where's Dad?" I told him he was home with Jason. He said, "We have to go get him, I need him to be my partner for Fast Offerings." Again, not even close to shirking his duties.

The thing I am most proud of is the ache he feels for his friend. He doesn't know quite what to do. He loves his buddy, and wants to be able to make it better. Obviously this is not going to happen. He wants to make cookies. He wanted to stop at their house after doing fast offerings. He asked if he could call him. I told him it might not be pretty, but he could call him and show his support. He called and told his friend he was really sorry. Of course his friend really didn't want to talk. Duncan said he wasn't sure it was such a good idea to call, but I love him for his understanding. I love him for his love of his friend. I love him for his ability to be a responsible kid. What can I say.....I'm a pretty lucky Mom and I have a pretty good kid!!!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

MEL, Duncan is a great kid and a great friend. You ought to be proud of him.