Monday, June 6, 2011

Tori's new therapist

We have started taking Tori to a therapist for her possible anxiety attacks, and her constant depression problems. I've never been to a therapist so I didn't know what to expect. However I feel pretty good about my "Parenting skills". I'm not perfect, but as I've tried to help Tori along, I've felt like the stupidest person alive. Recently I've come to the conclusion that she doesn't really want to listen to me. So that's where the therapist started. As we talked she said just about everything I've told her. It's been a good thing to know that I'm not a complete imbecile.

We've talked about coping skills, and happy thoughts. Today we talked about physical cues. We drew some pictures of our physical cues and the things that they might mean. Tori drew pictures of her gritting her teeth and clenching her fists. She also put down eating. I advised her she also stomps her feet.

Me being the Mom, and having more time to understand my physical cues had a messier drawing. She thought it looked pretty funny.

Hopefully I can help her along her path better. I think she has decided that I might know what I'm talking about, sometimes.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Even if they don't say they know that mom and dad are smart. The fact that her therapist backed you up gave you points. Kids are having a hard time these days, more so than when my kids were in school and some of them struggled to fit in and be accepted. Tori is a bright young girl. I had her in primary and loved her. She will do fine.